The North Carolina Pork Council W.W. Shay Award for Industry Distinction is to recognize and honor an individual who has exhibited outstanding service to the pork industry as an employee of a pork industry company or who has demonstrated significant support for the industry in a distinctive way. This award is named for William Warden Shay, who as the first swine extension officer in North Carolina instituted methods and techniques with the singular goal of ensuring profit and success for farmers from pork production in the state.
- Nominee must be an employee of a pork industry company or an individual who has demonstrated significant distinctive service to the pork industry.
- Award cannot be based on contributions of the individual as an owner, operator or contract producer engaged in pork production in North Carolina. The award, therefore, is meant for employees or related individuals, such as extension service officials, government officials, university officials or other such allied support entities.
- Contributions of the nominee to the pork industry through service, leadership or support to the industry.
- Contributions of the nominee to the North Carolina Pork Council and involvement in its programs and events such as leadership roles and volunteer support.
- Contributions of the nominee to family and community including church/civic activities and volunteer efforts.
- Awards or special recognitions received as they relate to the nominee’s involvement in supporting pork production and agriculture.
- PQA Plus and/or TQA certified, as well as PQA Plus site assessment, if applicable.
- Nominee’s record of environmental compliance, if applicable.
Majority vote of the Awards Committee
WW Shay Award for Industry Distinction
Please email all nomination forms to Terri Smith at email@example.com or mail to: NC Pork Council, Attn: Terri Smith, 1401 Sunday Drive, Suite 116, Raleigh, NC 27607.