The North Carolina Pork Council W.W. Shay Award for Industry Distinction is to recognize and honor an individual who has exhibited outstanding service to the pork industry as an employee of a pork industry company. For purpose of this award, a company may be a farming company, an integrator, a processor, an allied company or other related entity. This award is named for William Warden Shay, who as the first swine extension officer in North Carolina instituted methods and techniques with the singular goal of securing and/or increasing profit for farmers from pork production in the state.
- Nominee must be an employee of a pork industry company.
- Award cannot be based on contributions of the individual as an owner, operator or contract producer engaged in pork production in North Carolina.
- Contributions of the nominee to the pork industry through service or leadership to the industry while employed by a pork industry company.
- Contributions of the nominee to the North Carolina Pork Council and involvement in its programs and events such as leadership roles and volunteer support.
- Contributions of the nominee to family and community including church/civic activities and volunteer efforts.
- Awards or special recognitions received as they relate to the nominee’s involvement in pork production and agriculture.
- PQA Plus and/or TQA certified, as well as PQA Plus site assessment, as applicable.
- Nominee’s record of environmental compliance, as applicable.
Majority vote of the Awards Committee
W. W. Shay Award for Industry Distinction – 2019